April 23, 2010

Knee-High Cabled Riverbed Socks

More knee socks! Since I found a good template with the last pair, but wanted to improve some things (mainly the length), I wanted to give it another go immediately. The foot and heel are, again, based on the Riverbed Master Pattern from New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi. The calf increases and the cable in the back are based on Laura Chau's Delicious Knee Socks pattern. The turned cuff with an adjustable elastic band is my own improvisation.

This time, I've very happy with the length of the leg. The only complaint I have is that I seem to have knit one sock with a slightly looser tension than the other, and so the foot/heel on one sock is slightly loose. It was my first time knitting (well, completing a project) with Opal, and, at least in a project with this much plain stockinette, it shows every little irregularity very clearly. Wet blocking will hopefully take care of that. I used a bit of Lorna's Laces Solid Sock on the inside edge of the cuff, because I was close to running out of the main yarn. I used 2.5 mm needles for most of the sock, and 2.25 mm ones for the inside edge.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    The picture is a very good view of the inside ankle area of this pattern. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely love them. so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! By the way, do they stay up well? I've only knitted one pair of knee-socks, but it bothers me that they do not stay up.
    Any advise is appreciated. Maybe you know the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These socks with the elastic band sewn on the inside of the cuff do stay up very well. Other knee socks without that, not so well.

    ReplyDelete