November 17, 2013
For a while now I've wanted to combine a bright red with a light blue yarn. I'm happy with the colors, but not completely happy with the mittens otherwise. I think they are a bit too short, particularly the part between the cuff and thumb. Will take note of this and make sure in the future I add rows to mitten patterns that don't seem to have enough. My gauge in stranded knitting tends to turn out pretty tight, and I still haven't quite mastered the tensioning of the floats. Patterns, like the palm sides of these mittens, that repeatedly have the same amount of stitches of each color in a column are particularly troublesome tensioning wise. While trying to prevent too much tension with the second mitten I ended up with a larger mitten. Not a perfect project, but at least it was a learning experience.
The Ravelry project page