April 12, 2010

Knee-Length Riverbed Socks


After several failed attempts at more complicated sock patterns, I fell back to a simple stockinette sock in a previously familiar pattern, the Riverbed Master Pattern from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitters. Knitting them up to knee length was an idea that I only got when I was already knitting the leg, and started to wonder if I had enough yarn to make them longer. I did, and I still even had some yarn left over. I increased stitches for the calf, and then turned the cuff so there is space for an elastic band inside it. It looks like these are going to be my first knee-length socks that actually stay up. I may have to make more socks like these, but I think next time I will make them with a slightly longer leg. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Solid, which I love for its softness. I used 2.5 mm needles for most of the sock, and 2.25 mm ones for the inside edge of the cuff.

More details on the Ravelry project page

7 comments:

  1. These are completely wonderfully beautiful! I absolutely adore the simplicity, so elegant in their clear lines.
    The back looks fantastic too but I am really taken with how amazing the sole shaping is! I love it when things are a little more tricky than you would think at first glance and consist of something you can only see if you really examine the item (that must be down to inverted snobbery on my part!).
    These are just so beautiful! I think I have the book so I simply must make these very soon, though perhaps not as long. Absolutely gorgeous colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also kind of in love with the sole shaping of the Riverbed pattern :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice colorway! I'd love knitting socks in stockinette, in the round! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled upon, and now loving your blog! Gorgeous knits all around!

    -hillanen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous! Simple as they may be, the subtle shaping is absolutely beautiful. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! They show off the yarn, it looks dreamy.

    ReplyDelete