December 12, 2010

Monkey

It may be hard to believe, but this was my first time knitting the Monkey pattern. I have to admit I have no idea why it's so hugely popular, apart from the fact that it's free. It was certainly an easily memorized pattern, but I don't see anything that sets it apart from many other sock patterns. Any way, I thought the Fleece Artist Nyoni I had sitting in my closet would be a suitable yarn for this project. It's at the upper end of degree of variegation I can tolerate in a yarn, and Monkey seemed like a pattern where I could take advantage of that. I think the pattern-yarn combination works pretty well, but I'm not ecstatic about the end result. Maybe blocking would improve it. I don't normally block socks because they "block" just fine in regular use, but this pair might benefit from it.

5 comments:

  1. I think the pattern looks very nice with the yarn you chose - I love that color green. I haven't knit the Monkey socks yet, but tried to with some Hazel Knits yarn a couple of months ago. It pooled like crazy! Maybe a semi-solid (like you chose) is what I should try next with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With most patterns I prefer as little variegation as possible, but with this one slightly more seems to be OK. But I do hate pooling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Which is weird because I'm not keen on green at all. It could be down to the photograph being brilliant, but I think I like the socks as they are. I've wanted to try the Monkey pattern for ages but I seem to get side-tracked into other patterns (doing Falling Tears just now).
    Enjoy wearing them and the next pair might be more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're beautiful! I don't get the huge popularity thing either. They're pretty, they are free, they knit up relatively quickly, but I don't get that, "Wow, this is better than any other sock pattern" feeling either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these socks are beautiful! The only pair of socks I knit were the Monkeys because I thought they were beautiful and they seemed like a great pattern to start with since so many people knit them! I love your version!

    ReplyDelete