November 14, 2009

Garter Rib Socks

A toe-up, short-row heel version of the Garter Rib socks from Sensational Knitted Socks. I used 72 stitches to fit the husband's feet, and knit them on a 2.25 mm circular needle, magic-looped.

I find that toe-up socks are more comfortable to knit with a circular needle, while cuff-down socks seem to go better with DPNs (the toe-up cast on is awkward on DPNs, while the beginning of a cuff is almost equally awkward on a magic loop). The 80 cm long HiyaHiya circular needles I've been using seem pretty suitable for magic-looping. I would make the cord maybe slightly more flexible, but other than that, I have no complaints. They are so lightweight and yet sturdy.

I also found the yarn, Araucania Ranco Solid, very pleasant to knit. What's left to see is how the yarn holds up in use, since I've read some reports of it felting on feet.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I'm the other way around! I prefer DPNs for toe-up and ML for top-down. But the socks came out great. I'm about to start on some ribby socks for a Christmas gift too -- these things stretch beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Helena! I just wanted to let you know that I adore your work, and have featured it over at my new art blog at http://www.livemakecreate.com

    Keep up the good work...I am just learning to knit and find your projects truly inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete