December 1, 2011

Mustard Laurel

Mustard Laurel

Mustard Laurel

Knitting worsted weight yarn after so many fingering weight projects felt unnatural at first, but my first time working with SweetGeorgia Superwash Worsted was still a pretty pleasant experience. It was a particularly suitable yarn for a cabled hat, even though when I picked it up at a craft fair I didn't yet have a clear plan for how I was going to use it. I just knew I had to have it, and would find a way to justify the purchase later.

This was my second time knitting the Laurel pattern by Jared Flood. It's a lovely pattern, but I was somewhat disappointed to find out the errors I informed them about last January, when I knit this pattern for the first time, still haven't been fixed. I have a feeling this is more due to Classic Elite, who published it, rather than Jared, because the latter is usually very good about keeping his patterns error free. I've had wonderful knitting experiences with all the rest of them. (Having knit the Porom six times and the Girasole twice, for example, should tell something.)

This is the time of the year when taking pictures in natural lighting is starting to get challenging, particularly on work days. Today, the sun sets at 3.15 pm. There is still some lingering light for some time afterwards, since the sun sets slowly this close to a pole, but the last bits of daylight aren't really ideal for photos where you want to reproduce the colors as accurately as possible. The next time I photograph a knitting project probably has to be on a weekend, since it's only going to be closer to the winter solstice.

12 comments:

  1. I know the problem with the light at this time of the year! I have two months now where I can do it on a weekend - if it's not cloudy that is!

    I love the hat, such great texture and colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely and the pictures are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hat is absolutely gorgeous!! and the yarn has such great stitch definition, which you totally need for a pattern like this. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like Jared Flood is inspiring you these days! It's wonderful. He writes beautiful pattern and you knit beautifully, equally ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice color and texture! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This hat is very gorgeous. What an interesting colour! It looks a bit like bronzed gold, something nice and old anyway.
    I find taking photos in winter really hard too. I tried a daylight bulb but it's not as good as I'd hoped. So it'll have to be waiting for the weekend and keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is not too horrible.
    I've even taken project photographs in slight drizzle before, and not just once. You get a really interesting effect when you photograph something very light in colour against a dark background. It makes it look almost like an artistic painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really lovely. Do you sell your knits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't sell my knits, I only knit for myself, or gifts for friends or family. Just a relaxing hobby :).

      Delete