February 25, 2012

Fresh Squeeze Socks

Fresh Squeeze Socks

Fresh Squeeze Socks

Fresh Squeeze

My first project knit with handspun yarn! Not my own handspun, because I'm not capable of doing that, but by Micki (thing4string on Ravelry). I first contacted her in early January, based on a hint I'd received from another Ravelry member, if she could spin some sock yarn to my specifications. The process started with me choosing the fiber (superwash merino) and her dying it based on my wishes. I felt a bit guilty for being so picky about the colors, but she was patient with me. And then she spun the fiber into beautiful 3-ply sock yarn.

When I first had the skein in my hands, I felt it was almost too special to knit with. However, common sense took over, and I convinced myself that the primary purpose of the yarn is to be knit, not adored. I wanted to go for a very simple pattern to give room for the colors, so I cast on a generic pair of stockinette stitch socks. It was interesting to see how the colors behaved when knit into fabric. The yarn is very evenly, professionally spun, with minimal variation in thickness.

In the photos you can also see my first metal sock blockers. I'd been dreaming of simple metal sock blockers for a while, and when I saw these in someone's pictures on Ravelry, I was eventually able to track them down to Webs (after my email inquiry from another store was never replied to) after a helpful hint.

The Ravelry project page

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I had this image of orange and teal handknit socks in my mind and Micki made it possible :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is a beautiful colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't blame a girl for knowing what she wants. I am sure that Micki was flattered that you asked. And looks at the results. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did joke to her that she'll probably never take another order from me after this experience, but I do hope she enjoys the results, too :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! No need for a complicated stitch pattern with such a cute yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful socks and lovely colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the colors are wonderful ... super elegant, actually :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy wow. That yarn is incredible, and the socks are just amazing. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always amazed at knitted socks. Having chosen the colours of the yarn and then having it spun make them even more special. Fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete