December 7, 2012
After my tension issues with my previous pair of mittens, I decided to try two-handed knitting with my next pair. So, the Camilla pattern by SpillyJane was the first time I tried holding one yarn in my left hand and the other one in my right. Previously I've done all my stranded knitting with both yarns in my left hand, which has its problems: The yarns keep twisting around each other, and when they are used in different amounts and one yarn gets eaten up more than the other, you have to keep adjusting the tension. I've never knit holding yarn in my right hand before, and I don't think my self-taught technique is quite by the book, but it's surprisingly easy. And regardless of how it felt like my right-hand technique was slow, the mittens knit up pretty fast. Maybe because I saved time by not having to untwist the yarns all the time. My tension seems slightly better, but there are still bunching up problems at the points where needles change. So, there is still room for improvement.
Picking the right color combination took some time and frustration, but I'm quite happy with the Wollmeise Pure Wolke WD and Spinaci combo I finally ended up with. I previously thought the Spinaci looked kind of boring on the skein, but combining it with Wolke seems to liven it up. It's surprising how the right kind of contrasting color can make a yarn look a lot more interesting.
The Ravelry project page