February 1, 2010

Milkweed


At some point in late January I started to feel like I'd hit a wall with sock projects, so I decided to try something different: a quick yet seemingly sizeable shawl that uses about the same amount of yarn as a pair of socks but appears larger due to the lace knitting gauge and blocking (and therefore makes me feel like I achieved something remarkable without putting too much time or effort into it). The plan worked perfectly, and the recent Milkweed Shawl pattern by Laura Chau was put to good use. I used some sock yarn, Grignasco Bambi, that I never managed to turn into a pair of socks even though I tried several times (I'm not a big fan of merino for socks, but it does feel good against your neck as a shawl.). For the needles I used 3.5 mm as suggested by the pattern. I'm pretty happy with the result! I plan on using this as a scarf, just like all the other small shawls I've knit in the past year.

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. And that first photo is just magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful! Great alternative to a pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, just wanted to add that I linked to you on my blog as part of the Sunshine Awards :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job! Love the purple shade. I enjoy knitting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milkweed is beautiful! Love the purple. That color shouldn't be hidden in a pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete