March 16, 2009

The "Apple" Shoulder Warmer


I wanted a project to use the Rowan Scottish Tweed DK I bought a year ago, and I've also been looking for a nice shoulder warmer pattern for a while now, so this pattern and yarn seemed like a good combination. But no matter how nice the colors and the "tweediness" of this yarn, there is just something about it I don't enjoy. It always knits looser than intended, and ribbing knit with it doesn't do what ribbing is usually supposed to do: pull the fabric together. It also feels quite harsh on the skin, although washing made it a bit softer. The pattern was written for worsted weight yarn, which I thought this DK weight yarn could substitute, knowing it's "looseness". Well, knit with the suggested needle, my gauge was still way off: 17 instead of 20 stitches per 10 cm. I had cast on for size S, but noticing my gauge on the way (naturally I didn't swatch), I knit the rest of the garment based on the XS instructions, and it still turned out a bit too large, at least the sleeves did. I'm not totally unhappy with the result, though: It's something I'm perfectly content with to wear around the apartment. And it's surprisingly warm for its size. The pattern is Top-Down Shoulder Warmer by Laura Chau.

3 comments:

  1. Despite your misgivings, I think it's really lovely on you. I haven't worked with the Scottish Tweed, but I've used Rowan Felted Tweed (also a DK) and had to go with a smaller needle size on the ribbing because it was much too loose. Even then, it's stretching out again with wearing. I had been planning to make this project as well using leftover Malabrigo from a Feb. Lady Sweater I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its really pretty! That is one of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how it looks on you, too, and the colour is just awesome. :) It's lame to have ribbings turn out too loose, though... I'd imagined it only happens with fibers with less memory than wool.

    ReplyDelete