July 7, 2018

Day 2 of Jyväskylä Knit Festival 2018

Jyväskylä Knit Festival Day 2
Jyväskylä Knit Festival Day 2
Jyväskylä Knit Festival Day 2
Jyväskylä Knit Festival Day 2
Jyväskylä Knit Festival Day 2

The second day of Jyväskylä Knit Festival was quite busy on my part. It was the first day of the festival that the market place was open, and naturally it required an appropriate inspection! I took part in the knit parade for the first time, which was fun. Managed to knit and walk at the same time without tripping!

Right after the parade I took part in a yarn dyeing class by Julie and Jean-Francois Asselin, which was very hands on! Some of the other students were already so skilled that they came up with nothing but gorgeous colors skein after another (including that multicolored yarn in the pot). For me it was more of a learning from my mistakes experience. My main dye job, two 100 gram skeins of sock yarn, was an attempt at my dream green, a dark, saturated color. I'm pretty satisfied with the result, even though both skeins have a large dark blot that was not really intended to be there. However, I'm happy enough with it that I might turn the skeins into a large shawl. I definitely recommend Julie's and Jeff's class if you have any interest in hand dyeing yarn and have a chance to take part in one. They work hard to give you a great experience!

After the class I had to hurry a bit to make it to the Laine cruise, which was the main social event of this festival. On the 3-hour cuise there was socializing, eating and drinking. The highlight was Jonna from Laine magazine interviewing several designers or other prominents members of the knitting community. Hearing their thoughts was interesting and inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment