January 25, 2015

Libelle

Libelle

I'm now officially addicted to weaving pooling scarves. It's just that it's a perfect way to use up multi-colored yarns, which are difficult to knit with. Here I combined a multi-colored Wollmeise Pure with a bluish grey Cephalopod Yarns Skinny Bugga. The neutral grey tones down the brightness of the Libelle a little bit without affecting the hue itself. I'm quite pleased with the result.

A woven item feels quite different from an item knit with the same yarn. The woven fabric is thinner, less squishy and not very elastic. The scarf doesn't feel as warm against the skin, but on the other hand it seems like it's more windproof. The lack of elasticity has its pros and cons; the scarf won't stretch out of shape, but it can feel a bit tight around your neck, depending on how you wear it. I think I'll like woven scarves in the fall and spring, when I don't want them making me hot while looking good.

Project on Ravelry

5 comments:

  1. Your scarves look so professionally made it's unbelievable you just started weaving! I love both of your last two scarves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so kind! It's more the beautifully colored yarn doing the work, the weaving itself on these pooling scarves is fairly simple.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Just curious - what type of loom are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm using an Ashford Knitters Loom, the 50 cm/ 20 inch version.

      Delete
  3. It's so coldly elegant, as a crystal lake (if a lake can be elegant at all :). )

    ReplyDelete