January 4, 2015

Westy Vesty (And Flashy Photos)

Westy VestyWesty Vesty

Westy Vesty

Since one of my first New Year's resolutions was to learn flash photography, I decided to tackle it head on. I've always been a big fan of natural light in photography, but this preference does not play well with the several months of the year in Finland when the only times I can take pictures are on the days I'm not working, since the sun is up only for a few hours every day. It means this time of the year I'm always waiting for the weekend to take photos of yarn or knitting projects.

I'm only starting to learn how to use a flash in a way that's pleasing to my eye, but I'm pretty happy with how my first serious flash photo shoot turned out. (I've been using Bryan Peterson's Understanding Flash Photography as a reference). For most of the pictures I bounced the flash off the wall or ceiling, except for the photos where there is intentional blur from movement, for which I used the flash directly pointed at myself, with rear curtain sync on the camera.

The knitting project pictured is Westy Vesty by Stephen West. I love it! It was fun and relaxing to knit, and I also love wearing it. I think I want to knit another one, in different colors. Wollmeise Pure works great with this pattern, giving it some nice drape.

Ravelry project link

9 comments:

  1. Love your vest - beautiful! Photography is great too - what camera do you have? I hope to get a new camera this year and am asking around. Welcome back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm currently using a Nikon D5100. One of the biggest reasons to using this model is the fact that is has an articulated LCD screen, which makes it easier to take photos of myself, since I can see how the photo is framed before taking it.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm a beginner and after some hats and scarfs i'm trying to make this one. Can I ask you what does it mean when the pattern says slip 3 wyif? I mean, did I have to slip all the 3 stiches keeping the yarn in front or did I have to slip 1, knit the 2nd and slip the 3rd? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It means you slip all of those stitches the same way one with yarn in front. Those stitches form the i-cord edging. Good luck with your project :).

      Delete
  3. I love the vest, Its not unlike mine............. http://cuppaandcake.blogspot.com.au/2010/05/simple-wrap-vest-pattern.html
    Good to see you back online. Missed you there for a while. Leonie

    ReplyDelete